Mobile: xxx xxx xxx
2001-2009 PhD in Anthropology, Rice University, Houston, TX
1998-2001 MA in Sociology, Boğaziçi University
1994-1998 BA in Sociology, Boğaziçi University
* Marcus George E. and Erkan Saka, 2006, “Assemblage”, Theory, Culture & Society, Vol. 23(2–3): 101–109.
* Saka, Erkan. “Yol vs Kapı: Journalistic Metaphors in Understanding EU-Turkey Relations” in Shifting Landscapes: Film and Media in European Context. eds. Miyase Christensen and Nezih Erdogan. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008
* Dağsalgüler, Aylin and Erkan Saka, 2007, “Yeni İletişim Teknolojileriyle Habermas’ın Kamusal Alanı’nı Yeniden Düşünmek” [Rethinking Habermas' Public Sphere through New Communication Technologies], Özgür Yılmazkol (ed.) Medya Okumaları, Nobel Yayınları
* Saka, Erkan, 2006, (Interview) “Kaan H. Ökten: İnsanların ölümlülüğünün anlamını keşfetmeye çalışıyorum”, Hürriyet Gösteri, Mayıs, Sayı 280, s. 70-72.
2007- … – Instructor at the Public Relations Department, Istanbul Bilgi University
PUB 149-150 (Foundation Year Seminar I-II)
PUB 203 (Theoretical Background of Communication)
MED 204 (Culture, Communication and Society)
PUB 432 (Communication and Persuasion)
2004- 2007- Teaching Assistant at the Department of Media and Communication Systems, Istanbul Bilgi University
MED 101 (Introduction to Communication and Mass Media I)
MED 112 (Intellectual Heritage)
MED 204 (Culture, Communication and Society)
MED 391 (The Social and Political Environment of Communication)
MED 413 (Comparative EU Journalism Practices)
2003 Fall – Course Instructor – ANTH 316 (Cultural Analysis) at the Department of Anthropology, Rice University, Houston, TX
2002 Fall – Teaching Assistant – ANTH 325 (Self, Sex, and Society in Ancient Greece) at the Department of Anthropology, Rice University, Houston, TX
2000-2001 – Teaching Assistant at the Department of Media and Communication Systems, Istanbul Bilgi University
2008, 7-9 September – Conference Liasion at “Digitally-Empowered Activists: Getting the Tools to the People Who Need Them” of The Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School, in Istanbul.
2007 – Jury member for Cultural Horizons Prize
2007 September – Organizing Committee member in “2007 Film and Media Conference: “Shifting Landscapes of Film and Media: Questioning Legacies, Navigating Critique”, Istanbul Bilgi University, Istanbul
2006 July – Research Assistant at the University of Washington/Getty Foundation Summer Institute, “Constructing the Past in the Middle East”, held in Istanbul, Turkey and Thessaloniki, Greece.
2006, 10-14 July– Assistant coordinator at Balkan Forum for Communication in Kavala, Greece.
2005 Summer – Assistant coordinator at Summer Programme, ‘Turkey and Greece: Transcending the Past and Embracing the Future’ in Istanbul Bilgi University.
2002 Summer – Research Assistant in Rhodes, Greece for Prof. Eugenia Georges from the Department of Anthropology, Rice University, Houston, TX
1998 Summer – Research Assistant in Gender and Family in the Republican Era exhibition organized by Türkiye Ekonomik ve Toplumsal Tarih Vakfı [Economic and Social History of Turkey Foundation] for Prof. Nükhet Sirman from the Department of Sociology, Boğaziçi University
2006 Fall – Teaching Assistant Representative- School of Communication- Istanbul Bilgi Uni.
2005 Spring – CIVICUS Turkish Media Monitoring Project teamwork
2000 Spring – Assistant editor, World News Department, Yeni Gündem
1994-2001 – Freelance translator, English teacher, Part-timer in a foreign trade company, Editorial board member in Anka Yayınları
* November 9-12, 2009 – The World Blogging Forum 2009- Paper entitled: An Outline of the Development of Online Journalism in Turkey
* March 13-15, 2008 – The Euprera EuroBlog2008 Symposium- Social media and the future of PR: New ideas, new research, new business. Paper entitled: Introducing New Media to new Public Relations Students
* January 27, 2007 – Megacities/NEP Colloquium (Theory Culture and Society Journal). Paper entitled: Istanbul as a megacity, Istanbul as an assemblage)
* September 18-21, 2006 – 9th EASA Biennial Conference- Europe and the World: European Integration. An Anthropological Gaze (Paper entitled: The Journalistic Metaphors in Understanding Turkey and the EU Relations)
* June 16-18, 2006 – 2006 Film and Media Conference- Shifting Landscapes: Film and Media in European Context. Chair at the panel entitled: Images of the National and in the National I.
* July 20-23, 2006 – 2006 Association for Cultural Studies: Artistic Expressions (Paper entitled: The Idea of Assemblage in Ethnography. Deleuzian Interventions in Re-Empowering the Author)
* November 30-December 4, 2005 – 104th Annual American Anthropological Association Meetings: Citizens and Nations in Cultural Performance and Social Identity (Paper entitled: How the European Union process changes Turkish nation state’s performative and contractual nature.
*December 15-19, 2004 – 103rd Annual American Anthropological Association Meetings: Anthropological Approaches to Shoah Archive (Paper entitled: Communal Relations Between Turks and Jews Interrupted by WWII in the Island of Rhodes, Greece)
*April 14-16, 2005 – Association for the Study of Nationalities: 2005 World Convention: Identity in a Turkish-Greek Environment (Paper Entitled: Rhodian Turks: Discursive Formations of a Community)
*November 30-December 4, 2005 – 104th Annual American Anthropological Association Meetings: Citizens and Nations in Cultural Performance and Social Identity (Paper Entitled: How the European Union Process Changes Turkish Nation State’s Performative and Contractual Nature)
2006 February – E-discussion starter in Media Anthropology Network. E-Discussion entitled: Danish Cartoons Controversy (http://www.philbu.net/media-anthropology/mailinglist.htm)
2001 Spring – Özgür Universite Seminars, İstanbul. ‘Working Classes in Turkey’
AAA American Anthropological Association since 2001
EASA European Association of Social Anthropology since 2005
EASA Media Anthropology Network since 2003
AOiR Association of Internet Researchers since 2006
EUPRERA The European Public Relations Education and Research Association since 2008
English, French (advanced)
2001-2004; Rice University Graduate Student Fellowship
2004 Summer; The Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy – Research Grant
2002 Summer; The RISM Landes Award for Supervised Fieldwork